Sunday, March 22, 2009

Your Baby Can Read!


We've decided to try Your Baby Can Read. It only makes sense to teach your child the written word at the same time as the spoken word when they are developing so rapidly. At the very least, it can't hurt to attempt to teach your child to read at such a young age. I've read that some people have a problem with this type of learning because they believe a phonics approach is better than a whole word approach. I guess I learned first by the whole word approach. I did take phonics in school but I learned to read before I went to school. I memorized all the words to my favourite books and then I used my knowledge of those words and the sounds the different letters made to sound out new words. My mother's favourite anecdote is when we were driving and I said "Hey Mom, it's a Buick!" I pronounced Buick like quick because of the spelling. Anyway, we're going to give it a try. I'll keep posting about my son's progress. He's 8 months old now, we'll see how old he is when he seems to be able to read. Has anyone else tried this? Has it worked for your child(ren)?

No comments:

Post a Comment